These days it seems like breakfast in bed is just something for the movies to overuse. We’ve grown to know the smell of coffee breath better than the smell of an egg being gently fried in bacon grease. Every time I stay at my grandma and grandpas, the very end of my dream…right before I wake up…is me sitting at the table eating a big plate of bacon and perfectly basted eggs. The older generation not only makes breakfast…but the smell penetrates into your brain while you sleep! It’s practically breakfast in bed right?
Even though most of the time I wake up too late to partake in my grandparents breakfast feast, Im still satisfied because the amazing aroma gently pointed my dreams in the direction of happiness. I wake up full…for about 15 minutes that is.
So how do we bring breakfast back to our generation? and better yet…how do we bring breakfast back to bed. (and not just in our dreams.) Do we need to wake up earlier? Well you might think so…But here’s my trick. And with Valentines day coming up next week…This trick would be something good to use. (hint hint) The recipe below is meant to feed two people. You, and someone you luuuuuuv.
First, you need to make a pesto.
Why? Because when you bring the person you luv something with a homemade “spinach almond pesto” on top…they are going to think you’re the best person ever. in their brain they are saying “OMG, he/she just took the time to make me something that’s super hard to make…they really really love me!” the thing they won’t know is that the pesto was super crazy simple.
Spinach Almond Pesto
- 1 9 oz. bag cleaned spinach
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and pulse until combined. Yea…It’s that easy. You may have to add the spinach in two installments, and it will look like your adding a ton of spinach into the food processor…But trust me, it will process down to make you about 1 1/2- 2 cups of the pesto! Then just taste the mixture to make sure it’s seasoned nicely! Transfer the beautiful and healthy pesto into an airtight container and put it in the fridge until your ready to top the next part of this amazing breakfast in bed.
If I were you, I would make the pesto the night before while your getting the ingredients together for the:
My next step to help you bring breakfast back to bed, is to make a frittata. (basically an open face omelette.) You can put any kind of veggies into your frittata that you want, but feel free to just use my recipe too! The cool thing about this recipe is that you can prep everything the night before, and then quickly cook up a fantastic breakfast to bring to your luvvved one.
The- Goodbye coffee breath, hello frittata breath Frittata!
- 1/2 cup diced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 10 grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/8 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- (2 tbsp. parmesan cheese = optional)
- Prep your ingredients the night before you plan to make this breakfast in bed frittata. Dice your mushrooms, onion, and roasted red peppers. (feel free to buy jarred roasted red peppers) Then slice your tomatoes in half and store all of the vegetables in a zip top baggie until morning. You can also crack your eggs into a bowl, mix with the milk, and cover with plastic wrap. Place it into the fridge, and you’re all set for morning!
- When your alarm does come…just slowly pull the covers off and jump out of bed. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees, and find a large skillet to make your frittata in. Over medium high heat, sauté all of the vegetable in a tbsp. of olive oil. Once the veggies are soft, about 6 minuets, pour the egg mixture into the pan. (Make sure to give the egg mix a shake before dumping it in)
- Now give the future frittata a quick stir to make sure the veggies are distributed equally throughout…and then let it cook on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. After that time is up, just place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. (if adding the cheese, sprinkle it on with 5 minutes left on the timer)
- So in less than 20 minutes you will have a fabulous frittata that you can serve to your luvved one. :) Toast up some whole wheat bread, or make some bacon/sausage and you have an over the top thoughtful breakfast in bed. Make sure you have a tray to take it to them on…you want to go all out right!? (don’t forget the flowers…)
- When the Frittata does come out of the oven, simply use a spatula to help you move it onto a cutting board. Sure…you could just slice it up…But why not use a heart cookie cutter?
By making the pesto, and preparing the fabulous frittata, you’ll wow anyone, whether it’s breakfast in bed or not. This recipe is healthy…flavorful…and thoughtful. So what are you waiting for? Make it for your loved one on valentines day!
Just Like I’m trying to bring the spork back…I think it’s time to try and bring the tradition of breakfast in bed back. If you follow my Pesto and Frittata formula…you’ll be successful no matter what. So don’t leave breakfast in bed to the movie makers. Bring it into your own home!