It has been extremely warm and sunny here in the great state of Nebraska this week! The only bad thing about the weather here is the fact that it could totally be snowing next week….or even tomorrow! I have an uncle that’s a weather man, and predicting the weather has to be harder than predicting what Lady Gaga is going to wear next. This state smack dab in the middle of the country is full of crazy weather…and some crazy people. Me included of course. :)
Some people may really think I’m crazy with this recipe…but believe it or not, avocado ice cream is nothing new! My vegan take on this frozen favorite (favorite for some anyway) will blow you away with its flavor and simplicity! So while this great weather is here and spring fever is driving me towards ice cream…I thought I’d share this fantastic recipe with you.
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup coconut milk (I use Silk Pure Coconut Milk)
- 2 1/2 tsp. Truvia
- Start by mashing the avocados in a bowl. (remove the ripe green avocado from the skin, and save the skin for presenting the ice cream if you would like!)
- Place the mashed avocado into the bowl of a food processor and add the lime juice. Turn the food processor on and mix for about 1 minute. The mixture will be extremely smooth.
- Now add the coconut milk and truvia. Turn the food processor back on and mix for another minute. If you don’t have truvia…I recommend you buy some! But you can also use liquid Stevia or Agave. You’ll have to taste your mixture when sweetening with something other than what I used in this recipe to make sure you have it sweet enough.
- I recommend that you now transfer the ice cream base to an ice cream maker and churn for about 20 minutes. You can then put the ice cream into a freezer safe container, and freeze if until ice cream texture is achieved. (about 2 hours)
- Don’t worry if you don’t have an ice cream maker though! you can place this ice cream right into the freezer without churning. It will turn out just as great, but will take a bit longer to freeze and won’t have quite the same texture.
I love to serve this ice cream in the avocado shell…but feel free to just put it into a bowl with a couple spoons. :) This dessert is definitely flavorful, exciting, and green! I love it and I hope you will as well.
Tweet me with questions!