Welcome to the party:
Gluten Free + Vegan Macaroni & Cheese
I kick this recipe up a notch by adding roasted pablano peppers and sweet corn.
- 2 C filtered water
- 2 C chopped cauliflower
- 2 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 tsp chopped shallot
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 C nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp raw hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 1 ear sweet corn
- 1 8 oz box of gluten free pasta (I like the quinoa pasta best)
+ extra hemp & some chives for garnish
- Simmer the water, cauliflower, garlic, shallot and turmeric in a covered sauce pan for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Once it’s finished transfer it into a blender.
- Blend the cauliflower mixture with the nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon juice, hot sauce, hemp seeds, potato starch and salt. It will be creamy and light yellow in color.
- Cook the pasta for about 6 minutes. It will not be cooked all the way through, but will finish cooking in the oven.
- Roast the poblano pepper by charing it on an open flame or under the broiler. Once it’s blackened on all sides, put it into a small bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. It will steam and help release the skin from the flesh. You’ll be able to wipe away the skin and dice the pepper into bite size pieces.
- Roast the corn by lightly covering it in olive oil and cooking it at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. Cut it off the cob once it cools.
- In a big bowl combine the pasta, poblano, corn and cheese sauce. Once it’s well mixed you can divide it into 4 ramekins or bake it casserole style. Top with happy hemp and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
Serve warm and enjoy!